Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Food allergies on tv/movies

I don't recall many shows where the story is about food allergies, I try to think back to ER episodes, Grays and more and I can't think of any that have food allergies as the story line.

I think having more shows and or movies about food allergies will help with awareness. There are many people that have no clue about food allergies.

When I read that Nick News will be about allergies on Sunday night, September 27th, at 8 o'clock Eastern time, I was thrilled - I set the DVR so I won't miss it. "Nick News with Linda Ellerbee; I'm Allergic to My World."

I also have heard (but have not seen) the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs has a character in the movie who has a peanut allergy.

This is really great news to me - helping awareness.

2 comments:

Sharissa Greer said...

I saw an episode the other morning of Super Agent Oso where a little girl wanted to make a special pizza for her cousin that was coming to vist. Her mother told her that the cousin had food allergies and couldn't eat pizza or she would get very sick...so they made a "special salad" instead. I thought that was great, because it caught Nathan's attention right away.
Also...I don't know this myself because I haven't seen it, but I heard the peanut scene in Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs is not so tastefully done. The character goes into anaphylactic shock. Not too funny if that's the case.
XO

Jeanette said...

I missed that Super Agent Oso episode, that would have been good to see.
I didn't know the character goes into anaphylactic shock, but if done in a realistic way may not be too bad - that way kids can see what happens.