Monday, June 21, 2010

A dog.

When I went to pick up Nathan at daycare/preschool today I noticed an animal cage, with a dog. The director immediately told me it was their new dog, they just lost their old dog and it was hypo-allergenic. She continued to tell me that they bring the dog here and the kids love him, but my immediate thought was: Nathan is allergic to dogs. She told me that she is allergic and this is a great dog for allergies and Nathan has been around him and was fine.

I didn't know what to think. The allergist told us to keep Nathan away from dogs because he is allergic, but part of me wants Nathan to be able to pet a dog ans be ok and enjoy a dog as a friend like the rest of us.

This whole thing makes me nervous. What can I do, pull my child from the center or make a big fuss and look like a bitchy parent.

7 comments:

Mitzi said...

I'd say just wait and see how it goes. If Nathan doesn't react, as the director said he hasn't, then the allergist was wrong. They CAN be wrong. When I was allergy tested as a kid, I was shown to be allergic to eggs and I looked up at my allergist and said "But I had eggs for breakfast!" Needless to say, I've never not eaten eggs just because I tested allergic. Also, I know that I was not allergic to dogs as a child b/c we had one, but being away from them (when I went to college) did make me more sensitive to them. So, the more exposure he can get, the better, I'd say.

Anonymous said...

My son tests allergic to dogs but we have one (have since before he was born) and he's never reacted to ours or any dog. His cat allergy however is pretty high and he has bad reactions to them.

Sharissa G. said...

What kind of dog was it?

Kim B. said...

I would wait and see what happens, perhaps hang out there while he plays with the dog. (Obviously take your Benadryl and Epipen,) If he has issues, then you get to be the bitchy parent. :) I would give it a try first, they say my son has cat and dog allergies. We have 2 Chihuahuas and he has NO issues with them at all.

Mom to Food Allergy Kid said...

I don't know, some kind of non allergenic dog. I will have to ask again.

Mom to Food Allergy Kid said...

Yes, Mitzi I think it helps if they are around one, they could become more immune. I know his cat allergy is the worst, he would have such bad eczema that it would scab.

Anonymous said...

I have a son that was born with Allergies, Asthma and Eczema. One of his allergies are Dogs (or should I say Dog Dander) We are not allergic to dogs its the dander they produce. We have had a dog since before our son was born and he doesn't have a problem with our dog but the instant anyone elses dog is around, his oxygen drops, swelling of the eyes and hives everywhere. We were told once our dog is gone we are never to replace him. Just remember, the asthma and eczema gets worse when there is something in his environment that he is allergic too. I feel for you and your family, I know what you are going through. My son just turned 7 a week ago and let me tell you I have learned so much from him.