Today we went to a parade, the one that throws tons of candy. Some of the candy was fine for Nathan to eat but some of it was not. So as he put it in his bag, I would take out the stuff he can't eat (tootsie rolls and gum mostly).
The children next to us were also getting candy and were nice and shared with Nathan since they were faster and older at getting the candy. But many times I told the children "that is ok, you keep the candy, he is allergic."
My famous words at the parade "He can't have that he is allergic"
Maybe I should have just taken the candy and switched it out at home. There are always new experiences when dealing with food allergies.