Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Flu Vaccine with Egg Allergy

Recent news from the CDC regarding vaccinating people with egg allergies:

From the CDC

Vaccination of People with Egg Allergy

For the 2012-2013 season, there is a more permissive influenza vaccination recommendation for persons with egg allergies. Based on a thorough review of several recent studies, administration of both full doses and split doses of TIV have been tolerated by people with egg allergies, without serious reactions. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that for the 2012-2013 influenza season, people who have experienced only hives from consuming eggs can receive TIV intramuscularly as long as they are treated by a health care provider who is familiar with the potential manifestations of egg allergies and can be observed by a health care professional for at least 30 minutes after receiving each dose. The 2012 ACIP recommendations has an algorithm to help guide clinician decision-making regarding vaccination of people with egg allergy. Additional information about vaccinating people with egg allergy is available in the 2012 ACIP recommendations. LAIV should not be used in these patients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have known this all along, my son (who has a severe food allergy to eggs) have been receiving the flu vaccine since he was 6 months old with no complications. 
We would go to the allergist to get him vaccinated and my son would need to get part of the vaccine, then we wait and wait. Then we would get another dose and we would wait and wait. Year after year we did those - small doses at a time - up until 2 years ago when I told the clinic he never had a complication or reaction so please go ahead and give him the entire dose at once. 
Now of course I would never want my son to be unsafe at any time and I glad we did it the way we did the first time but I started to wonder why the CDC would recommend egg allergy suffers not to get the vaccine at all or receive it in small doses.
I am not saying/debating that you should or should not get the flu vaccine, I just always believed that it helped and we all know cold and flu season is not fun and I will take any help I can....to avoid it.

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor or qualified to give medical advice. I am a mom sharing my personal experiences and tips on how I manage my son's Food Allergies and Asthma.

Please check with your Doctor before trying any new diets.

No comments: